There’s a lot of mess in this world. We pray for love and peace, but really, it starts from within.
Same goes for when someone feels like they cant find someone for them, or they attract the same dead-end type of relationships.
As Rupaul said it, “If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna somebody else?”
I’ve often thought about my own love-hate relationship with Valentine’s Day. I hate that people who don’t have a Valentine date feel more “aware‘ of their single status. But I love the colors, and I just love the L O V E !
And then I thought, for so long, Valentine’s Day is about telling your crush you like them, or hoping to have that cute guy you keep bumping into at the deli to notice you and finally ask you out! If Valentine’s Day is all about love, why can’t you be your own date? Why can’t it be about loving yourself first?
It’s not about being selfish, because self care and self love, makes you a better person. It makes you a better friend, sister, daughter, companion, mother, aunt, cousin. When you can love yourself, you create the vibe in which you surround yourself.
There are SO many ways that you can treat yourself like the partner you deserve :
- Take yourself shopping
- Treat yourself to a glass of bubbly at a swanky downtown bar
- Draw yourself a bath, add bubbles or milk, honey and rose petals
- Light some aromatic candles and take a hot, steamy shower
- Find some really smell-good lotions and serums to apply after your bath
- Clean Linens
- WORK OUT! Yoga or a quick meditation. I know it may sound weird, but try it
- Journal – write down 10 things you like about yourself. Can be as simple and random as, “I like my earlobes” but write 10 things you like about yourself.
- Put on some makeup, do your hair, and take some selfies. Take at least 20 and find a few that make you feel like a boss babe
So many ways to show yourself love, I don’t even know if I touched the tip of the iceberg.
I cleaned ALL my linens. From my mattress pads, to my sheets, to my quilt, to my throw blankets and sham covers. I got a pretty good work out in. I fed my body well today. I shaved, because I don’t have laser yet :(, exfoliated all over in a hot shower today, used my deep conditioner in my hair, used extra serums and I used my extra moisturizing lotion. I made sure to light some candles and I jotted down a couple things I love about myself. One of which read, “I love that you get so obsessed with memes that you can watch them over and over and still laugh after watching it 18 times.”
Love yourself down to the simplest thing!
This Valentine’s Day, I hope you find some ways to show love to the temple that you live your life in every day.